Cleveland's newest Hungarian monument to St. Stephen, the first King of Hungary, is a cornerstone saved from the recently demolished St. Stephen Hungarian Church in McKeesport, Pennsylvania (1900-2020). The cornerstone was brought to the historic St. Elizabeth of Hungary Catholic Church at 9016 Buckeye Road in Cleveland Ohio which was established on June 4, 1893.
The Church and the United Hungarian Societies (UHS) of Cleveland hosted an outdoor dedication of the monument in the Church's courtyard.
The theme of the dedication ceremony was "Honoring our past by remembering St. Stephen's Catholic Church of McKeesport."
America's first Hungarian Roman Catholic churches in order of cornerstone-laying date:
- St. Elizabeth's Church - Cleveland, OH. June 4, 1893
- St Mary's Church - Throop, PA. July 21, 1895
- St. Stephen's Church - East Toledo, OH. Dedication August 20, 1899
- St. Stephen's Church - Bridgeport, CT. November 30, 1899
- St. Stephen's Church - McKeesport, PA. September 8, 1900