Each year we like to gather an eclectic group of friends and business associates for a holiday lunch. No, it's not just techies. Media, non-profits, politicians, business, cultural - they were all represented. The food and atmosphere at Bo Loong at 38th and St. Clair is always terrific and our 75 guests maxed out the party room.
|Dan Hanson and Cleveland Fire Chief Angelo Calvillo|
|Councilwoman Dona Brady, Qaisra Haider, Nate Curry, Basil Russo, Mayor Georgine Welo|
|Judge Dan Polster and Kevin Goodman|
|Mayor Ron Falconi and Deborah Yue|
The attendees are involved in one or more of the projects that we are involved in such as:
- Computers Assisting People (CAP) Inc. which has refurbished and donated almost 20,000 PCs to over 500 schools and non-profits in Cleveland.
- ClevelandPeople.com where we celebrate the 100+ ethnic groups in the area and make it a more attractive destination for immigrant talent as well as showing what a cool and diverse city we live in.
- ClevelandSpeakers.com which has grown, by popular demand, from a section on GreatLakesGeek to its own website with some great speakers and topics.
- Cleveland101.com which was intended to give visiting reporters some interesting stories during the RNC and Cavs championship run but has evolved into a collection of great Cleveland stories, firsts and landmarks.
- ClevelandCooks.com which is for foodies, chefs and wannabe chefs as we celebrate how Cleveland has become a foodie town with great chefs and restaurants.
- Cleveland Food Adventurers a group that visits local ethnic restaurants and learns about the food and culture while enjoying camaraderie and a great meal.
- ClevelandSeniors.com for the 50 and over crowd and those who care for and about them.
- ClevelandWomen.Com for girls and women of all ages in Cleveland and Northeast Ohio
- Cleveland International Hall of Fame which recognizes lifetimes of important and enduring contributions to Cleveland's multi cultural communities.
- GreatLakesGeek.com. The business, science and technology information on GreatLakesGeek.com is becoming more essential as many of our longtime favorite print publications have disappeared or cut back.
- Magnum Computers Inc. where we try and earn some $ so we can volunteer more for CAP and support our other projects. (grin)
- ClevelandPets.Com for the four-legged (and other) members of our families.
- And some more projects we are working on
When asked what the diverse group of guests had in common, some reflection made it clear that they, like us, love Cleveland. Most have had many opportunities to work and live in other cities. But we have all chosen to be here because we believe in the city.
As attendees introduced themselves, this became evident and all were impressed by the positive outlooks expressed.
And though the techies naturally gravitated to their own area, as did the media, international, political and other types of guests the fun was when seemingly unconnected people discovered a thread that connected them to someone else in the room.
Want to be invited next year? Let's do some positive things together next year.