Friday, January 28, 2011

Cleveland Sports with Dan Coughlin

I get a ton of books to review and I know all my local librarians names because I visit so much. Yes, I read a lot.

This book stands out because it is like sitting around a bar listening to a great story teller with lots of juicy inside information.

Coughlin spins stories about Muhammad Ali, Blanton Collier, Woody Hayes,Doug Dieken and dozens of other sports characters.

His chapter on Art Modell and moving the Browns is a must read - should we be vilifying Mayor Mike White instead of Art?

It was a blast to read about the old places (Hollenden House, Theatrical, etc), events (Beer Night, the Charity Game) and institutions (Plain Dealer vs Press, WHK and Gary Dee, etc.)

Read my complete review

Better yet, read Crazy, With the Papers to Prove It: Stories About the Most Unusual, Eccentric and Outlandish People I've Known in 45 Years As a Sports Journalist

No comments: